Possible symptoms of brain injury after an accident

| Mar 27, 2018 | Blog

A brain injury can be a life-altering event. Though they can occur in many different settings, people in auto accidents are more susceptible to brain injury by the sheer nature of the event.

The first step in treating a brain injury is recognizing that there is one. There are a few possible symptoms that parties may look for to identify a brain injury.


Along with lacerations and bruises on and around the head, there are additional physical symptoms that may be indicators of a brain injury. Adults and children share some common physical symptoms of brain injury, such as: 

  • Clear fluid drainage from the ear or nose
  • Unconsciousness
  • Seizures
  • Dizziness or slurred speech
  • Irregular sleeping patterns

These and other physical trait changes deserve a visit to a medical facility immediately. There the physician can make a final determination.


Some mental, as well as physical, symptoms may evolve and become prevalent over time. A few common mental symptoms include:

  • Mood swings
  • Forgetfulness or memory loss
  • Profound confusion
  • Anxiety or depression

Such symptoms may manifest themselves in different ways, especially in cases with small children. After an accident, parents should monitor their children very carefully. If they notice changes in the child’s patterns, it would be best to take the child to the pediatrician.


There are a few misconceptions that many people have in relation to brain injury. The main misconception is that people get brain injuries by hitting their head; while this is one method, it is not the only one. In a number of cases, a brain injury may occur from a force causing a person’s body to jerk. The force alone can cause the brain to hit the inside of the skull, which may result in brain injury.

Ultimately, it is best to seek medical attention after an accident to allow professionals to access the condition. If the accident is a result of another negligent party, it may also be beneficial to consult with an attorney and seek reparations.